|Major falls in NABA title fight in Toronto|
Guardian Sports Reporter
Published: May 14, 2012
A fractured left wrist and a broken index finger prevented Meacher ‘Major Pain’ Major from continuing in his title fight in Toronto, Canada, on Saturday night.
The scheduled 12-rounder with Logan McGuinness, for the North American Boxing Association (NABA) super featherweight title, was stopped minutes into the second round. Major was tagged with a technical knockout (TKO), the third of his career. The loss and injury pushes him back a step as McGuinness now receives an automatic bid for the British Commonwealth title.
Major will still have to wait and see if McGuinness will actually step into the ring for the Commonwealth title before their September re-match. If he doesn’t, and Major is successful in his mission of “flooring” McGuinness in the re-match, then he will move on to fight for the British Commonwealth title.
“First of all I want to thank God and the fight fans, my family back home and everyone who came to support me and who kept me in their prayers,” said Major. “Unfortunately, I was unable to come out victorious as planned. Things really didn’t go as planned. I wasn’t able to throw any punches back and it isn’t a fight if I wasn’t throwing any punches. I rested right on the ropes, ducking punches. I was against all odds, but I don’t want to make any excuses. At the end of the day I had to give up on myself. That is the only way he could beat me. Giving up is exactly what I did because there is life after boxing.
“Things were going good from the first round.
It was starting to be a good fight. I knew I was going to beat him very easily, most definitely. With my style of boxing and movement, he couldn’t deal with me. Unfortunately, things didn’t go as planned with the injury. It was a setback for me mentally.”
Major revealed that his doctor visit on Sunday confirmed his worst nightmare during the fight. He was under the impression that he had sprained his index finger, but the x-ray showed that it was broken. He views the injury as a setback but thanked God that he is still in great health and shape. The doctors ordered Major to rest for about two weeks before starting therapy.
Major has crossed his fingers hoping to be back into the ring by the end of June in preparation for his fight in July. The fight which is about two months away was scheduled earlier in the year, according to Major.
He said: “Hopefully, by July, I should be back in the ring, but for the time being, we are going to work on a couple of things. We are going to make sure everything is straight. Fight wise I am disappointed but as far as my performance, not really.
“Like I always say, things happen and everything happens for a reason. I never question God and why things happen. I am grateful that I am in great health — that is the most important thing. My health is far more important than me going into the ring and throwing a bunch of punches.
“I don’t want to be like previous fighters who were injured and now permanently hurt and can’t do anything for themselves. That is the most important thing and that’s why I am thankful to God.
“The fight is over and I am ready to go back to the drawing board and work on things that I was not able to do in the fight. As far as the British Commonwealth title goes, either me or him will step into the ring and take it to the next level for the title. If he goes to fight for it before we have our re-match then he will be eligible, but as long as it is not before our re-match then there is a chance that I can fight for the title, once I defeat him come September.”
Major’s loss has dropped his win/loss record to 20-5. He has one draw. For McGuinness, he continued with a perfect streak recording his 17th win, nine of which were knockouts.