|Skyline Drive closure delayed|
Guardian Senior Reporter
Published: Jul 17, 2012
The planned permanent closure of Skyline Drive has been delayed after a mutual agreement between government and the developers of Baha Mar, Director of Public Works John Canton said yesterday.
The road will remain open until a date that has yet to be decided, he added.
“There has been a mutually agreed postponement of the closure,” Canton said in a statement to The Nassau Guardian.
“...In the meantime formal notice of the closure will be published in the press so that due process can be followed.”
Skyline Drive was set to close on July 15.
Once the road is closed, traffic in the area will be rerouted along the new Corridor 7 a new two-lane road that will link John F. Kennedy Drive to West Bay Street. The new roadway will be completed sometime in September or October.
Earlier this month, Robert Sands, senior vice president of government and external affairs at Baha Mar, said area residents have been aware of the planned closure for some time. He added that the developers have held several neighborhood meetings where the issue has been raised over the past few years.
Sands said the road closure should have little impact on traffic in the area.
“Yes there will be changes to your pattern and the convenience in terms of the route that you take on traversing on Prospect Ridge Road, but our studies have indicated that no driving time will be impacted more than three to five minutes,” Sands said earlier.
“This is something that we have discussed from very early on in the project and multiple meetings have taken place.
“We are hoping to have another one the middle of this month and [updates] on a number of issues to allay the fears of many residents.”
Baha Mar has spent $120 million on road works thus far.