Delay in release of NIB reports
Guardian Staff Reporter
Published: May 02, 2013
Former National Insurance Board (NIB) Chairman Gregory Moss said in the House of Assembly yesterday he is eagerly awaiting the release of the forensic reports into the accounts of NIB.
Minister of Labour and National Insurance Shane Gibson previously told The Nassau Guardian that he had hoped to release the reports yesterday.
Speaking in the House yesterday evening, he explained, “Initially, I had anticipated releasing it in Parliament today and we had promised [suspended NIB Director Algernon Cargill] an opportunity to review the report and to respond to it.
“We sent him a copy of the report through his lawyers and as soon as he is completed with it and they have responded to it, which would be in the next 14 or so days, we will be tabling the report in Parliament.
“But we just wanted to give him an opportunity to first respond to the report.”
Gibson noted that the report given to Cargill concerned the recommendation on his termination.
He added that the second report is about the accusations made against Moss.
“That portion of the report did not go to Mr. Cargill,” Gibson added.
The probe into NIB was trigged after Moss made serious accusations against Cargill in a 22-page letter last November.
The auditors of Grant Thornton (Bahamas) examined those allegations among other matters relating to NIB.
In the November letter, Moss said NIB’s board voted to fire Cargill and another NIB executive.
Cargill was placed on leave pending the outcome of the audit. He filed suit against NIB and Moss.
Cargill remains on administrative leave and receives his full pay with benefits, according to Gibson.
Moss was fired in early January after he issued a press release, suggesting that Prime Minister Perry Christie and Gibson had failed to properly defend him against accusations made by Cargill.
Gibson has called the contents of the reports shocking.