More possible changes for road project
ROYSTON JONES JR.
Guardian Staff Reporter
Published: May 07, 2013
After months of final paving, curbing and leveling manholes, the government could commission additional “design adjustments” on the controversial New Providence Road Improvement Project (NPRIP), Deputy Prime Minister Philip Brave Davis has revealed.
“Our initial review suggests that we will have to make some design adjustments,” Davis said in a recent interview.
He said the proposals dealing with costs associated with certain changes are still being reviewed.
Davis noted that any decision made will be “for the purpose of the safety of the traveling public” and the efficiency of traffic management.
He previously announced that the Ministry of Public Works will commission a study on the design of all roads that fall under the NPRIP, which could result in additional roadworks.
Though he did not say last week which roads the government foresees adjustments on, Davis has been critical of Robinson Road west, and Market Street and Baillou Hill Road in particular.
The Coconut Grove Business League (CGBL), a group of almost 50 businesses in the southern area of Baillou Hill Road and Market Street has long sought a resolution relating to the traffic schemes mainly on those two thoroughfares.
The group, which lost its legal bid for compensation from the former government, has argued that the road changes caused a significant reduction in business, causing hundreds of jobs to be lost, and scores of businesses to fold.
Davis has admitted that “elements in the execution were missing and not taken into account”.
He told The Nassau Guardian recently that while all thoroughfares have been handed over to the government, Jose Cartellone Construcciones Civiles (JCCC) continues accommodation works, which involve correcting defects and repairs as part of its defect-liability period.
Asked when the accommodation works will come to an end, Davis said, “Any moment now.”
“But in the meantime, part of the handing-over period requires them (JCCC) to hand it over in [an] almost pristine state,” he said.
“Whereas we do see [things] like a chipping of a sidewalk as a defect, and that’s listed, there is what I call that assessment that has to be done [to determine] what is material, what is immaterial and how we will address either category.”
The NPRIP commenced in 2008 after the Ingraham administration signed a $119.9 million contract. It has run nearly $100 million over budget and fallen far behind schedule.
The government will hold $6.5 million in trust until January 2014 – five percent of the original contract – which could be used for any defects or repairs found during the ongoing defect-liability period, The Guardian understands.