PM: Mortgage relief plan might help ‘four or five’
Guardian Senior Reporter
Published: May 07, 2013
The government’s mortgage relief plan might not be such a failure after all.
Though it was supposed to help more than 1,000 households, Prime Minister Perry Christie yesterday indicated on the floor of the House of Assembly that “four or five” struggling homeowners might benefit from the much-maligned plan.
This news comes after Minister of State for Finance Michael Halkitis’ previous indication that no one qualified for the plan and the government was going back to the drawing board with it.
However, Halkitis also said in the House yesterday that some people would qualify for the plan, though he didn’t give any specific numbers.
“Happily we have received a few cases where individuals look like they will be able to qualify, so that’s a good development,” he said.
Halkitis also stressed that the Christie administration does not see the plan as a
“failure” and is committed to helping homeowners who are faced with foreclosure.
“Failure is only the result when you have given up. We remain committed to bringing relief to homeowners in this country and we will do whatever is necessary to bring that relief,” he said.
“We have not given up.
“So when we say that we are not satisfied with the results thus far all that means is we need to sit down, go back and make sure that we are able to do what is necessary to bring that relief.”
Prime Minister Perry Christie previously said that the plan, which was a key element in the Progressive Liberal Party’s election campaign, has been a source of disappointment for his government since the May 2012 general election.
The government allocated $10 million for the program which was launched late last year.