Major set to fight ‘Psycho’ Woods at the end of the month
Guardian Sports Reporter
Published: May 08, 2013
The road to recovery has been long and winding for Meacher ‘Major Pain’ Major, but on May 25, the super featherweight champion of The Bahamas said that he is more than ready to “‘rain blows” on his opponent.
Six months ago, Major injured his left hand in a bout against Canadian Logan McGuiness. That fight took place on December 5, 2012. Less than a week later, Major stepped into the ring against Mexican Jose Felix Jr. and fractured the same hand, putting him on the injury list for about four months. Now, he said he is ready, sending a strong warning to his opponent for later this month, Anthony ‘Psycho’ Woods.
Major and Woods will exchange blows on Saturday, May 25, at a venue to be announced.
“This is my first fight for the year due to the injury,” said Major. “I wanted to make sure that everything was fine with the hand before fighting again. I wanted to take my time, didn’t want to rush it because I don’t want it to be a career-ending thing. I needed to make sure that I was 100 percent.
“It is my left hand, my most important hand in my opinion because I use it for jabs. I had to make sure that everything went well before scheduling a fight because I re-injured it in training. It was a must that I gave it proper time to heal and get myself together, so I can step back into the ring. It started to feel better at one point. I went back to my doctor and he said it was okay to go back into the ring, but after sparring and preparing for the second fight in December, I ended up messing it up again and could not hit the bag or anything.
“Everything is back in perfect condition. I am not feeling any pain or anything, thanks to my trainer Nathaniel Knowles. He was assisting me in making sure that I got the proper rest and that my hands were properly taken care of. It was hard adjusting because I always trained. I just start sparring again like last week.”
Major lost both fights in December. His win/loss/draw record is now at 20-6-1. If he is successful in his fight against Woods, Major would be the first Bahamian to capture two national titles in different weight classes
Major said: “This is going to be a first for The Bahamas, this has never been done. I will be moving from one division to the next. This is my first time moving out of my weight class to fight for another title. No other Bahamian has done it before so I am expecting great things from me. It is a big risk I am taking. I am aware of all the sacrifices that have to be made, and ready to go ahead and become victorious, the first Bahamian to capture two titles in two different weight classes.”
Major will continue training, preparing for his fight. During his off time, he plans to venture into promotion, wanting to host several fights here at home. According to him, plans are going smoothly.