• Email to friend
  • The Nassau Guardian Facebook Page
  • RSS Feed
  • Pinterest



sub_save_img

Critical Care Block 89 percent complete

TRAVIS CARTWRIGHT-CARROLL
Guardian Staff Reporter
travis@nasguard.com

Published: May 14, 2013

  • Share This:

    Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email to friend Share

  • Rate this article:

Construction of the $53 million Princess Margaret Hospital (PMH) Critical Care Block is 89 percent complete, with a commission date of August 1, Chief of Staff at PMH Dr. Geoffrey Pennerman said yesterday.

He added that the project is progressing smoothly and is still on budget.  The project has been touted as the single largest investment in healthcare infrastructure at PMH.

“As you know, with any construction project, and certainly one as big as this you should expect to encounter difficulties,” Pennerman said during a press conference.  “But so far so good.  After a month of commissioning we will be using it for clinical purposes in September.”

The project began in November 2011.  Upon completion, the 75,000-square-foot multi-story expansion unit will include six surgical suites with state-of-the-art equipment.

It will also have a new central sterile department; 18 recovery beds; 20 private ICU (Intensive Care Unit) rooms; 48 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) beds; new laboratory facilities; upgraded administrative facilities; a new main entry into the facility that is accessible to the disabled and shared services.

Pennerman noted that there have been no major difficulties with the project.

“You get the odd glitch... for example because there are some specific pieces we want to put in the laboratory area, we’ve had some delays there, but we think we can catch up,” he said.

“Some of the very specialized things that we’ve needed for the operating theaters, they have to be made.”

He said that most of the work is done.

Richard Wilson, the managing director of Cavalier Construction, said last year that there had been “tremendous challenges” throughout the project, the biggest being underground utility services.

However, Public Hospitals Authority (PHA) Managing Director Herbert Brown said that the PHA, the contractor and the various utility companies have coordinated and maintained a consistent meeting schedule to help limit issues.


This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comment.

 
Banner

Caribe 2016 Cleveland

 

Today's Front Page

  • Enewspaper
  • Enewspaper
  • Enewspaper
  • Enewspaper

  • http://www.ansbacher.bs
  • http://www.walkinclinicbahamas.com
  • http://www.cfal.com
  • http://www.colinageneral.com
  • http://www.Colina.com