‘Major Pain’ Major’s season opener postponed
Guardian Sports Reporter
Published: Jun 03, 2013
Meacher ‘Major Pain’ Major will have to wait a couple more weeks before stepping into the ring, now that his season opener was postponed due to inclement weather.
The fight dubbed “No Mercy” was scheduled for Saturday, June 1, at the C.I. Gibson gymnasium. Major was prepared to go up against Anthony “Psycho” Woods in the 12-rounder for the junior welterweight title. The Major Promotions Entertainment with the Lions Den Fight Club production will now be staged on June 29, in the high school’s gymnasium.
“First off I would like to thank God [and] my trainers Nathanial Knowles and Cassius Moss for the preparing me for this upcoming title fight,” said Major. “Everything is going great; I'm forever grateful to have such trainers helping me prepare for my fights. Mr. Knowles, he makes so much sacrifice getting up early every morning. He's more than just my trainer to me. He knows me, understands me, pushes me beyond and wants nothing but the best for me. That in my entire boxing career I have never had.
“I want to thank the fight fans for their love and support, my sponsors, Buttons Formal Wear and Negril Cafe. I personally want to bring back the sport of boxing here professionally to the level it once was. I am the future of professional boxing here in The Bahamas and come the end of the month, fight night, it will be proven when I become the first Bahamian to win two titles in two different weight classes.”
Major accepted the challenge from Woods earlier this year, but was unable to step into the ring until his hand was fully healed. The petite boxer injured his left hand in the bout with Logan McGuiness on December 5, 2012. Less than a week later, Major stepped into the ring with Jose Felix Jr. and fractured the hand, putting him back on the injury list for about four months.
Major lost both fights that month. His win-loss-draw record is 20-6-1. If he is successful in his fight with Woods, Major would be the first Bahamian to capture two titles in two different weight classes. He is currently the national super lightweight titleholder.
Major said: “By me accepting the challenge from Anthony Woods, many might say he is no match, but we feel he has proven himself and has been the only active fighter in his weight class. He has earned his way in the sport of boxing to fight for the title. Boxing goes by ranking and he is mainly the only 140 active professional boxer, and we can't over looked that. He has fought experienced guys in the past, and I feel he's up for the challenge. So this is a fight that we can't take for granted. It takes only one good shot, and it could change the entire fight.”
Major will leave for Buffalo, New York for a few days. His training will resume when he returns.
Caribe 2016 Cleveland