Mixed media artist Nadine Munroe answers this week’s 20 Questions from Guardian Arts&Culture. Nadine’s solo exhibition “Feel the Rhythm” is currently on display at Hillside House Gallery, Cumberland Street.
1. What’s been your most inspirational moment in the last five years? I think when Obama was reelected president. You can achieve whatever you put your mind to. A lot of people were counting on him to lose, to prove the failures of a black man in society but he proved differently.
2. What’s your least favorite piece of artwork? I think it may be a sculptured ceramic piece. I have a love-hate relationship with that piece.
3. What’s your favorite period of art history? I think expressionism and modernism.
4. What are your top 5 movies of all time? I don't think I have any, normally I fall asleep in movie theaters.
5. Coffee or tea? Chai tea.
6. What book are you reading now? “Living the Progressive Life” by Dr. Raymond Wells.
7. What project are you working on now? I am working on a project for ACE (All Ceramic Exhibition) for October 24 at Doongalik Gallery, Village Road, and a few projects for next year.
8. What’s the last show that surprised you? My show, "Feel the Rhythm" at Antonius Roberts’ Gallery. The support was overwhelmingly amazing.
9. Saxons, One Family, Valley Boys or Roots? I love Colours, then Valley!!
10. If you had to be stranded on one Family Island which one would it be? Abaco. I Absolutely love the island!
11. What’s the most memorable artwork you’ve ever seen? “Starry Night” by Vincent Van Gogh. My favorite paintings of all time are by Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko.
12. Which artist do you have a secret crush on? I don't have one.
13. If you could have lunch with anyone who would it be? JESUS. I have a lot of questions that only He can answer.
14. Who do you think is the most important Bahamian in the country’s history? Sir Lynden Oscar Pindling.
15. Who is your favorite living artist? Stephen Munroe, my husband. He is a landscape designer. He really transforms a landscape with his creative ideas!
16. Sunrise or Sunset? Sunrise, I am always looking forward to what a new day has to offer.
17. What role does the artist have in society? I think artists are there to transfer and transmit social happenings in a more digestible medium. We are creative messengers!
18. What’s your most embarrassing moment? I think when I fell in my kids’ school field attempting to kick a soccer ball. I remembered then I was a bit out of shape!
19. What wouldn’t you do without? Jesus Christ.
20. What’s your definition of beauty? Anything you enjoy/love looking at.
This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comment.