• Email to friend
  • The Nassau Guardian Facebook Page
  • RSS Feed
  • Pinterest



sub_save_img

Govt to start bidding for ankle bracelet program

Electronic monitoring contract nearing end
TANEKA THOMPSON
Guardian Senior Reporter
taneka@nasguard.com

Published: Oct 11, 2013

  • Share This:

    Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email to friend Share

  • Rate this article:

The government will soon issue a request for proposals (RFP) to security companies to take over the management of its electronic monitoring program after the current contract with ICS Security Concepts ends next month, Minister of National Security Dr. Bernard Nottage said yesterday.

Nottage said the government is looking for a “better price” than the current contract.

He added that a task force has been created to work out what the government needs from the new system.

Nottage also said that some companies have already sent in bids even though the public bidding process has not started.

Over the past year, Nottage has repeatedly criticized the electronic monitoring program. However, he said ICS will be allowed to bid again.

“We have reviewed the system that we have. We have identified some issues that we would like the new contract to contain,” said Nottage after a pastors’ crime forum at Salem Baptist Church.

Nottage previously said he wants police to monitor the program, which he thinks would result in a more efficient system.

ICS’ contract ends in the middle of November, Nottage said.

He said he wants the company to continue monitoring the system after the contract ends until the government signs a new agreement.

Nottage said the government met with ICS to discuss its concerns over the current system.

“They appear to understand the difficulties we have been having,” he said. “They have given us their reasons for them and they appear to feel they can eliminate them.”

Earlier this year, ICS presented the government with a list of recommendations for improving the system.

Nottage said the government implemented most of the recommendations but still thinks the system needs improvement.

“We still decided to put out a new request because whatever we do, we have to try to get from the system the objectives we are seeking,” he said.

The Ingraham administration signed a three-year, $2.7 million contract with ICS in December 2010.

In August, ICS CEO Stephen Greenslade said he was willing to give up the contract to defend his company’s reputation.

Earlier this year, a dead man was found wearing an ankle bracelet. A fisherman found the body near the South Beach canal. At the time police said it appeared the man was dead for at least a week.

The discovery renewed the government’s concerns about the electronic monitoring program.


This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comment.

 
Banner

 

Today's Front Page

  • Enewspaper
  • Enewspaper
  • Enewspaper
  • Enewspaper
  • Enewspaper

  • http://www.ansbacher.bs
  • http://www.walkinclinicbahamas.com
  • http://www.cfal.com
  • http://www.colinageneral.com
  • http://www.Colina.com