CCTV still not ready to go
Guardian Senior Reporter
Published: Oct 12, 2013
The full implementation of the government’s closed-circuit television (CCTV) program has not happened because of several technical issues that have to be worked out, Minister of National Security Dr. Bernard Nottage said.
“The truth is we ought by now to have the CCTV system operating fully,” Nottage told The Nassau Guardian this week.
“There are some technical details which have been encountered by the installers and we are just waiting for them to get those details sorted out.
“The problem right now is there is a debate about what the real cause is and so we anticipate that the two vendors, that is Lowe’s Securities and BTC (Bahamas Telecommunications Company) will come together and bring in a third party to try to sort out what the issues are.
“We can get some images from the system but the images are not as crisp as they should be so that the system is not yet ready for full implementation.”
Nottage did not give a deadline for when he expected the issues to be resolved or say when the system will be up and running.
In July, Nottage suggested that BTC was primarily to blame for an earlier delay in an island-wide CCTV launch.
"BTC, they have really held us up," Nottage told The Nassau Guardian at the time.
"They have been somewhat tardy in what they have to do to get it up in time. But it's part of their reality. Certainly in this particular instance, we have felt let down by them."
In July, BTC said that it was nearly finished setting up a transport network neededto support the CCTV network.
The CCTV program will allow the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) to monitor surveillance footage from cameras set up at various public spaces in New Providence.
Antonio Stubbs, BTC’s senior vice president of technical services, said in July that more than 200 cameras are presently installed and running, but require additional optimization.
BTC said it will spend more than $2 million to create the network.
It was unclear yesterday what progress had been made since July.
The program was started under the Ingraham administration.
The government signed a $4.6 million contract in April 2012 with Lowe's Security Limited, its U.S. partner Avrio RMS Group and Cayman Islands-based firm Security Centers International for the first phase of the CCTV project.
Nottage revealed in March that the government had to spend an additional $1 million to finance the program.