• Email to friend
  • The Nassau Guardian Facebook Page
  • RSS Feed
  • Pinterest


DPM says unsatisfactory work costing taxpayers

  • Philip Brave Davis.

Guardian Staff Reporter

Published: Oct 22, 2013

  • Share This:

    Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email to friend Share

  • Rate this article:

The government is assessing the level of “waste” as a result of infrastructure work carried out under the former administration, Deputy Prime Minister Philip Brave Davis said.

Davis said the government has to repair buildings the former administration awarded contracts for.

He pointed to problems associated with the Magistrate's Court Complex and the government building west of the Ministry of Works.

A leaky roof and design issues are a few of the many issues officials have detailed since the Magistrate’s Court Complex opened in January 2012, Davis said.

Construction of the court complex began in 2005.  In 2008, Adler Construction was awarded a $6.4 million contract to complete the job.

"We are revisiting the design of the court," Davis said. "A lot of concerns have been expressed about the layout of the court.

“We are addressing them to see how and if we can make the adjustments to the venue in a way that will be cost effective."

Davis also mentioned layout issues with the recently built government complex in Grand Bahama.

"I've always said, oftentimes people complain about the pace of work, but we take our time and ensure that planning is done correctly... Haste often makes waste.

“We are finding that most infrastructure was done in a lot of haste. Therefore, we are now in the process of determining what waste that is costing us and we are assessing that."

Davis said it is still unclear how much all of the necessary repair work will cost.

"We're not there yet," he said. "We are addressing them as they arise. One would not expect to have challenges with newly built buildings, so you won't be budgeting for these.”

As it relates to the government building on John F. Kennedy Drive near the Ministry of Works, Minister of Labour and National Insurance Shane Gibson said earlier this year that even after the Ingraham administration invested millions of dollars to renovate the building, it still required further repair.

The building, which is owned by the National Insurance Board (NIB), is reportedly worth more than $20 million.

In 2012, former Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham said during the course of construction, major changes were made.

Violations to the original agreement were alleged, he said, and large sums of money were spent in additional work to repair and cover up elements of construction that were considered unsatisfactory. Missing materials and equipment were also noted.

Davis said the Ministry of Works will soon give that building an occupancy certificate as repairs are wrapping up.

This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comment.



Today's Front Page

  • Enewspaper
  • Enewspaper
  • Enewspaper
  • Enewspaper

  • http://www.ansbacher.bs
  • http://www.walkinclinicbahamas.com
  • http://www.cfal.com
  • http://www.colinageneral.com
  • http://www.Colina.com