Man charged with 2011 murder
Guardian Staff Reporter
Published: Oct 29, 2013
A 25-year-old man was charged in a magistrate’s court yesterday in connection with the murder of Randino Pratt, who was shot to death nearly two years ago.
It is alleged that Brenton Thompson killed Pratt on November 12, 2011.
Thompson was not required to plead in the matter.
Prosecutor Inspector Clifford Daxon said the case will be forwarded to the Office of the Attorney General. He said the Crown intends to proceed by way of a voluntary bill of indictment (VBI).
Thompson’s attorney Stanley Rolle told the court that his client was in custody since Sunday and was not afforded the right of legal representation during his detainment.
Rolle said he was informed by Thompson that he was “tricked” by officers of the Central Detective Unit (CDU) into signing an identification parade document.
Rolle said Thompson signed the document expecting that once he did so, he would be released from custody.
Rolle noted that Thompson was first interviewed in relation to the murder investigation in 2012.
Chief Magistrate Joyann Ferguson-Pratt noted Rolle’s submissions and remanded Thompson to Her Majesty’s Prisons (HMP) as he is not eligible for bail.
The matter was adjourned to February 3, at which time a voluntary bill of indictment will be presented.
Pratt was shot multiple times during an altercation with another man at the Corner Pocket Bar on St. James Road, off Kemp Road, according to police.
He died on the scene.
Pratt had been charged with the 2001 murder of Kirk ‘Tank Dog’ Ferguson. He was charged along with Deslin Nichols, 28, who was also killed in 2011.